Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Burmese pythons invade Floriday; it's time to move Disney World

Burmese pythons invade Florida; it’s time to move Disney World

By SCOTT STEUCK
of The Gazette
After visiting Disney World in Florida in January, I found myself sort of wanting to move to the state. But after watching an episode of PBS’ “Nature” series, titled “Invasion of the Giant Pythons,” on Sunday, Feb. 21, I quickly changed my mind.
The episode focused on Florida’s growing Burmese python problem. The snake, which is not native to Florida, or anywhere in the western hemisphere for that matter, has become a nuisance in the Everglades and surrounding region, as owners who once had the snakes as pets have released them after they grew too big for their liking. Also, some exotic pet warehouses that once stored them were destroyed by hurricanes, setting many of them free.
Florida’s environment has allowed the snakes to thrive, and now environmentalists there are concerned the invasive species poses a threat to native wildlife. Alligators aren’t even safe, as the pythons, which can reach 20 feet in length and 200 pounds in weight, prey on them, along with any other animals that cross their paths.
I’ve always been a fan of all snakes, and before I watched the episode I thought it was kind of cool the state had pythons slithering around its swamps. I’ve always thought Wisconsin is lacking in the kinds of cool animals it has, and by cool I mean animals that could pose a danger to humans, such as alligators, scorpions, tarantulas, sharks, piranhas, grizzly bears, walruses, bison, bighorn sheep, gorillas, platypuses and killer whales. Wisconsin does have mountain lions now, as well as a few timber rattlers, but both are so rare here I’m pretty sure I’ll never see one in the wild. The state has plenty of black bears, along with a healthy wolf population up north, but neither is as menacing as some of the other animals I’ve mentioned.
In watching “Invasion of the Giant Pythons,” I saw how the snake can latch onto its prey with its mouth full of jagged, piercing teeth; then wrap its bulky body around its victim, squeezing it to death; and finally swallowing it, letting its stomach acids dissolve it for digestive purposes over the course of the next several days. It’s a death I’ll never want to experience and one that could be avoided by not living there.
To combat the problem, Florida Fish and Wildlife will open a special season March 9-April 17 for Burmese pythons, along with one for two other invasive species that are also wreaking havoc, African rock pythons and Nile monitor lizards. Officials warn the meat from these species is probably too toxic to eat, due to high mercury levels, but their skins can be profitable, as cowboy boots made from python skin can be worth as much as $700.
An awful lot of hunters will be needed, because officials estimate the number of wild pythons to be in the tens of thousands. During the PBS show, the film crew visited an abandoned rocket testing site in the Everglades and found quite a few of the snakes crawling around the place. The crew also interviewed one snake hunter who said he’s killed more than 50 of the snakes on just one stretch of road.
I don’t think I could handle encountering just one of those snakes. As a teenager, I once came across a den of grass snakes in our back yard. I had fun catching them, and then freaking others out, including my sister, simply by dangling one in front of them.
A couple of summers ago my young son and I came across a dead grass snake on the road, and both of us wanted to take it back to my mother-in-law, as we knew she’s deathly afraid of snakes. We chose not to, a decision my wife says was wise because it may have brought a ban to our use of the lake house there. I still tease my mother-in-law that we’re going to find a live snake and bring it back to her.
If I ever came across a Burmese python, though, she can be assured I won’t bring it back because I’ll be running in the opposite direction as quickly as I can.
I know it’s highly unlikely that would ever happen in Wisconsin, but it’s possible. About 10 years ago, while working at a newspaper in Wautoma, someone’s pet alligator escaped from his house, and it stayed on the loose for quite a long time. The sheriff at the time, Pat Fox, caught it after getting summoned to its location by someone who spotted it. Like the late Steve Irwin, he had to wrestle the alligator in order to catch it, solidifying a legendary status in his place among the county’s sheriffs.
I’m assuming sheriffs and other officers don’t want to risk their lives and waste time catching these exotic animals, so it surprises me stricter ordinances and laws aren’t in place prohibiting people from owning them. Then again, our rule makers aren’t exactly known for passing laws that actually make sense, so it doesn’t really surprise me Florida is being invaded by pythons.
I’m just hoping they never reach Disney World. I don’t want to have to worry about finding a giant snake by my foot when I get in a Tea Cup.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in the Feb. 26, 2010, edition of The Portage County Gazette.

    ReplyDelete