Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Scientists discover 'The Force'

Scientists at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland have discovered a way to make objects levitate. Apparently, in a study published last week, they revealed they were able to reverse a natural force which causes tiny particles to stick to one another.
In other words, they’ve discovered the Force, the mystical power encompassing and binding all living things in George Lucas’ “Star War’s” universe. It’s the power that makes Luke Skywalker bring his lightsaber to his hand when an approaching Wampa is about to make him lunch.
When I was a kid, back in the heyday of “Star Wars,” learning about this discovery would have been so cool. My friends and I, who played “Star Wars” every day on the playground, would have spent hours trying to levitate objects ourselves.
As a 32-year-old husband, father and career man, someone who is supposed to be serious about his life and appreciate the merits of the scientists’ accomplishment, I still find this so cool. I would love to take a day off from any of my responsibilities to take a stab at levitating objects myself, to learn the Force.
Never mind the fact that the science doesn’t work like it does in “Star Wars.” Instead of using your mind to make the objects levitate, it takes complicated science utilizing vacuums and other scientific stuff to make it work.
The scientists want to use their discovery to better life for mankind.
“Tiny mechanical devices which trigger a car airbag to inflate, or which power tiny ‘lab on chip’ devices used for drugs testing or chemical analysis could run smoother and with less or no friction at all, if one can manipulate the force,” said Professor Ulf Leonhardt, one of the scientists who made the discovery. Whatever, I’m just pleased he actually called it the Force.
I’m more selfish for wanting the Force.
My No.-1 reason would be to make me the ultimate couch potato. If I need the remote and it’s on the other side of the room, I’d just have to will it my way. There would be no need for me to get up to fetch it myself.
But that may be why people have kids, as I recently discovered. Comfortable in my chair, I realized the book I was reading was on the coffee table across the room. My 2-year-old was playing in the room, so I told him to get daddy’s book. Not only did he do so, but he did so happily and eagerly, with a sense of accomplishment, delivering a big hug with the book.
My number two reason would be to impress my friends and family. “Hey, do you want to see something cool?” I would ask them. Then, to be really impressive, I would use the Force to zip the butcher knife from our knife rack to my hand. It’s not a lightsaber, but I’m not a Jedi (or would I be if I had the Force?).
I’d love to say I’d use the Force to become a superhero, like Spider-Man or Superman, but reality doesn’t present many life-saving opportunities. I’ve never been in a position where I could have saved someone’s life if I would have had the Force. I’m thankful for that.
I also know many people have been real-life superheroes without the Force, putting their own lives at risk to help others in dangerous situations. I hope to follow their examples if ever necessary.
So truthfully, the Force would be cool to have, but it really wouldn’t do much for me. It would make be lazier and give me a bigger ego. Two things I don’t need. I’ll save the Force for the Luke Skywalkers and Yodas of our imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in August 2007.

    ReplyDelete