Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Zoo is perfect place to spend Father's Day

Lions and tigers and bears – oh my. Monkeys and rhinos and penguins – heck yeah. Cobras and vampires and cheetahs – most definitely.
You gotta love the zoo. This past Sunday my family and I spent Father’s Day at the Milwaukee County Zoo, a place I’ve visited over a dozen times, yet one that never seems to get old.
This time was special because it was my 2-year-old Braden’s first time there. Like all little boys, Braden loves animals and insects. As a 1-year-old he was the only kid in his daycare not afraid of a frog in an outside puddle. And capturing bugs for his newly-acquired bug catcher is his new favorite activity, except for maybe eating those bugs when we’re not carefully watching him.
The day started perfectly. Fathers were free, as well as children 2 and under. Only my wife, Jenny, had to pay for admission. She told us it was only appropriate that her two little monkeys were free, which was the first of many “you’re a (name of animal being looked at)” references throughout the day.
I countered by saying that we were in Milwaukee, visiting her relatives. This was true, because we had attended a graduation party for her cousin on Saturday, but I made sure she knew I was not referring to those relatives.
Before she could strike back at monkey island, where a sign explained why some of the monkeys were bald, I quickly nabbed their excuse for my baldness. “It’s because I’m very well-groomed,” I tried to reason.
“More like well-domed,” she answered.
Meanwhile, Braden finally got to see many of the animals he loves from some of his favorite cartoons. The penguins from “Happy Feet.” Check. The clown fish from “Finding Nemo.” Check. The bear from “Open Season.” Check. Sully from “Monsters, Inc.” Nope, but he thought Tommy the Orangutan was an orange cousin, so we didn’t tell him otherwise.
The most exciting thing at the zoo for Braden was the train. In Waushara County where we currently live until we move to Stevens Point, trains do not exist. All train tracks have been replaced by hiking and biking trails. So over the last month, riding into work with me to go to daycare, we’ve encountered plenty of trains. I may find it tedious waiting for them to pass, but he finds it fascinating. So much so his new favorite toy is a train at daycare.
On the zoo train, which was not free, even for fathers, riders were transported in one big circle around the zoo. The only sight to see were trees in the surrounding woods and people walking in the zoo.
If I were the zoo master (I’m sure there is an official title, but I prefer this one.), I’d create exhibits in the surrounding woods exclusive for the train riders. This would include ones placing animals together, as they exist in the wild. The zebras would have to watch their backs from lion attacks, and gorillas and elephants could battle it out to determine the real king of the jungle.Of course, this wild imagination is why I’m not a zoo master. I’ll just have to settle for a free day with my family at the zoo every few years.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in June 2007.

    ReplyDelete