Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Stevens Point Fourth of July festivities bring out loads of good, just touch of bad

By JENNIFER STEUCKMy husband, Scott, the usual columnist here, and I were discussing the Fourth of July activities that took place in Stevens Point this past weekend. Those discussions, and perhaps a bit of writer’s block, prompted Scott to ask me to share some of those thoughts with you via his column.

Having lived in the greater Stevens Point area for three years, I’ve only ever attended Riverfront Rendezvous for the Friday night main stage performance. Typically, we travel to our hometown of Wautoma and spend Independence Day there. This year, though, we decided to take in the full extent of the Stevens Point festivities.

On Friday night, we attended Riverfront Rendezvous, mainly because Scott wanted to see Cory Chisel, the opening act. Having never heard him before, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed his performance very much. Scott and I often differ on musical tastes, so this was a nice reprieve.

Having only recently begun working in Stevens Point, I was pleased to run into several people I know, including my new co-worker, Cheri, and her friends, Tracy and Jennifer, who demonstrated the fine art of making your way to the stage during the Toad the Wet Sprocket performance. Typically, when I’ve attended local events in the past, my husband runs into several people he knows, while I watch from the sidelines knowing few people locally until recently.

On Sunday night, we attended the fantastic firework display with our friends, Brian and Johanna Sloss, and their children. I’ve always been a fan of fireworks and truly enjoyed the display… with the exception of the trees blocking some of our view from our spot on Water Street. I guess that’s what you get for parking your blanket closer to accessible side-street parking than at Pfiffner Park.

On Monday, we attended the parade downtown. I was pleased to see the attention to detail that the city places on promoting safety at such an event. The rope barricades were a nice touch, and made me feel more secure as a parent with having my fearless 6-year-old running loose. When he was a toddler, I had one of those kid leashes that looked like an animal backpack with a long tail. I admit that I used it. But I always knew where my child was. I really wish I could have one of those now. When he’s a teenager, he’ll probably despise me for the pictures of him on his kid leash.

There were two incidents during the entire weekend that didn’t sit well with me. While at the parade, a local politician’s aides were handing out fliers. Perfectly fine. In fact, I encourage that. However, one of those aides, and I won’t give away any names, handed my son a stack of pamphlets and told him to pass them around. I can assure you, that regardless of my political affiliations – I did vote for this person in the last election – I promptly trashed those items.

I feel it was rather inappropriate and presumptuous of the aide to request my son to pass them around. At 6, he has no concept of politics, and certainly no affiliations. I would advise any politicians, aides or volunteers who are reading this to reconsider if they are thinking about asking a child to assist them with their political literature.

My second concern took place when two sets of parents sitting to the left of me got into a rather vehement argument over candy. Yes. Parents, arguing over candy. From what I could tell, one set of parents accused the other set of parents of taking candy from their child. The other set of parents responded, using some very inappropriate words in a very loud voice. You can likely imagine what those words were, without me spelling them out.

I’ll admit that I’ve been known to use a curse word or two. And truthfully, I recognize it for the dirty habit it is, and am trying to break that bad habit. As you can imagine, when frustrated, you may hear the words sugar and fudge come out of my mouth in an angry tone…if you happen to be there, please forgive me. I’m trying desperately to replace much worse words.

This parental “exchange” got me to thinking about the holiday, and all that it stands for. How we as Americans are guaranteed the right to speak our minds as a part of the First Amendment. I think this is wonderful. However, I do wish that others would remember when invoking their First Amendment right, that just because they want to say it, doesn’t mean I want to listen to them, and I certainly do not want my child to.

Editor’s note: Jennifer Steuck is the wife of Scott Steuck, the Portage County Gazette managing editor who normally writes this column. He didn’t have much to say, so he thought he’d turn the space over to Jennifer, who always has plenty to say.
****
Originally published in The Portage County Gazette on Friday, July 8, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment