Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

America has become nation of whiners

By nature, I’m an optimistic person, and I try to be optimistic as often as I can for those around me. I also try my hardest to be appreciative of the things I receive, and not complain about the things I don’t get.


But I’ve noticed a disturbing trend, mainly online, that makes me pessimistic: people have become whiners, especially when it comes to things they believe they are entitled to and should receive.

I’ll illustrate this with an example. I have a PlayStation Vita, which is a handheld gaming device. I love my Vita, as it gives me the ability to play quality video games on the go. A bit of a gaming fanatic – starting with Atari more than 25 years ago – I enjoy being able to throw myself in an experience that requires my interaction but allows me to escape the everyday activities of life. The Vita is perfect for me as I can quickly fire it up and play it for a few moments when I’m not dealing with work, family or school.

Like many other things I become enamored with, I find online forums and websites to learn the latest about my obsession and post my thoughts about it. With the Vita, this has included PlayStation.Blog, IGN and the PS Vita Forum. Through these sites I often receive information about the product long before traditional media reports about it. In addition, I learn about what others are thinking, questions and answers regarding the product, and ways I can better use it through various tips.

Sony, the company that makes the Vita, announced recently it will add functionality to the Vita that will allow it to play PlayStation One games, many of which were originally released more than 15 years ago. That’s great news for people who want to play “Twisted Metal,” “Tomb Raider” or “Final Fantasy VII” on their Vita.

Initially, online people were excited about this news. But then they started complaining, and they haven’t stopped. They’re upset that it took six months for this to happen. They’re upset that only nine games are available initially (more will be added each week until a library of nearly 200 games is available). They’re upset people in Europe and Japan are getting more games in the first round. They’re even upset that this functionality might detract people from using the Vita for newer games.

If people expressed these opinions nicely, providing well-supported arguments for them, I wouldn’t be so upset. This country was founded on freedom of speech, and such debate is always welcome.

But most people aren’t so great in their choices of words. They’re often angry, full of swear words, and loaded with misinformation. When others disagree with them or point out their inaccuracies, those people will name-call, swear at them and come off looking like 3-year-olds.

It’s disturbing. Instead of being happy for increased functionality and the ability to play classic PlayStation games, people are upset because it didn’t happen sooner and they won’t get the immediate ability to play all those games.

And this is happening all over, not just on PlayStation forums and other online sites. People are quick to whine when a government entity threatens to cut a service it can no longer afford, yet nearly everyone complains about high taxes – the very thing that funds most services.

And most people working customer service jobs are probably familiar with the whining, as they often hear it in many different forms when something isn’t to a person’s liking. I’m betting many of them aren’t quite as familiar with positive comments when something meets or exceeds a person’s needs. Quick to complain but slow to praise is probably a common theme.

My 7-year-old son likes to whine, as boys his age are prone to do when they don’t get their way. My wife and I are able to tolerate a lot of his behavior, but whining is something we’re quick to stop. We won’t hesitate putting a favorite toy on timeout, removing computer privileges, or keeping him from going to something he anticipates when he whines.

I’m afraid our “behavior correction” will be useless, though, as there are just too many examples of others whining for him to follow.
*   *   *
Originally published in The Portage County Gazette on Aug. 31, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment