Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Film reviews in Gazette may have disappeared but they might not be extinct

Once upon a time I used to write movie reviews for The Gazette. And then they disappeared without an explanation as to where they went.


The simple version is I don’t have enough time in a week to see a film at the movie theater and then spend an hour or so writing a review.

The more complicated version says lack of time is a big factor, but the quality of films when compared to the prices of tickets and other movie theater amenities made the effort something I no longer wanted to do. In other words, I’ve pretty much stopped going to the theater.

Since August of last year, I’ve only seen two films – “The Avengers” and “The Amazing Spider-Man” – at the cinema. A big fan of comic book movies, they were both must sees, especially since my 7-year-old is also a big fan of such films. Shelling out nearly $15 for two tickets and then another $15 or so for popcorn and soda at each movie was well worth the price, and even more so since we both loved what we saw.

But $30 for “Men in Black 3,” “John Carter” and “Red Tails” doesn’t seem right. Add in the rude movie theater goers who play with their cellphones, talk loudly or eat popcorn like pigs during the film and one is left with a “wait until home video” attitude.

Because the time between movie theater release and home video release is only several months nowadays, waiting to watch films from the comfort of your home is much easier than it used to be when films took six months or longer to come to VHS, then DVD and now digital direct to home.

Another factor has come into play for me, too: the great quality of television. Nowadays, I’ll take an episode of a great television show over any film. Among the shows I like: “Breaking Bad,” “Mad Men,” “The Walking Dead,” “Fringe,” “Community,” Parks & Recreation” and “Homeland.” All of these shows pack more drama and/or comedy in their tightly written scripts than even the best films of the year.

If you don’t believe me, look at last year’s Best Picture nominees. Some are good, others are so-so, but none really jump out at you as outstanding. While films will never die, and I hope they don’t, they need a new crop of filmmakers to inject some life into them that is sorely missing right now. I like Steven Spielberg as much as the next guy, but he’s not going to be making films for that much longer, and until someone steps up and takes his reins, film isn’t going to be as good as television.

Maybe someday my film reviews will return to The Gazette. My graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point will eventually end and I’ll get some time back to do them, but only as long as the filmmakers comply by making movies that are worth the cost and energy required of me to see them.
*   *   *
Originally published in The Portage County Gazette on Oct. 12, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment