Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Playstation 3 does everything except serve food, beverages

With birthday funds and savings, I was able to purchase a Playstation 3 several months ago, and it’s the best purchase I’ve made in a long time.


The Playstation 3, for those not already familiar with its wondrous abilities, is the latest generation video game console that also serves as a Blu-Ray player, an MP3 player, Internet browser, photograph viewer and Netflix player. If it popped popcorn and served soda, it would have everything one would need to have the perfect movie night.

I decided to get a Playstation 3 mainly because I wasn’t happy with my Nintendo Wii. I’ve never really liked the motion controls of the Wii, and I discovered the games I played the most on that system were the ones in which I didn’t have to wiggle the controller, such as the classic “Super Mario Bros.” games, or I used a different controller altogether, such as the guitar with “Rock Band 2.”

I’ll admit I’m a full-fledged member of the video game generation. I got my first console, the original Nintendo Entertainment System, in 1988 as a confirmation present (thank you God) and have never been without a console since then. I’ve owned the Super Nintendo, the Nintendo 64, the original Playstation and the Playstation 2.

Of those consoles, the original Nintendo was my favorite, as I played hundreds of games through the remainder of middle school, high school and even college. My friends and I would stay up all night playing “Mega Man” and “Super Tecmo Bowl.” It was like the brother I never had.

The Nintendo also allowed me to forge a bond with my father, who became addicted to “The Legend of Zelda.” He played the game for hours as I told him what to do. It’s a memory I’ll always cherish of him.

This bond is now one I’m sharing with my 5-year-old son, Braden. He not only likes video games but is surprisingly good at them, and he and I have spent hours together this winter playing some of the “Lego” games, including “Lego Batman” and his favorite, “Lego Indiana Jones.” He just informed me he wants to dress as Indiana Jones for Halloween and he wants me to change his name to “Indiana Jones.” I told him no to that request, but that I would call him “Indiana Braden” as a compromise.

When I’m not playing kid-friendly games with Braden, I’m usually playing one game, “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,” which I declare is the best video game ever created. This game, a third-person shooter adventure similar to the “Tomb Raider” series, boasts amazing graphics, fluid controls and superior gameplay. I’m nearly through the game, but even when I complete it I still have the online component to tackle in which I can take on other players in a number of battles.

Online play is one of the Playstation 3’s main attractions, yet it’s the only one that intimidates me. The few times I’ve ventured online to take on other human opponents I’m usually beaten quickly. That’s probably because so many people out there are extremely talented when it comes to video games, but also because I’ve let the whole notion of them being better get into my head.

I’m better with people I know, rather than strangers; however, I only have one Playstation “Friend.” Any local people interested in befriending me should send a request to “mtk93.” I’ll gladly accept it to have the opportunity to take on Gazette readers.

Although I’m late in getting a Playstation 3 – it has been out since 2005 – I don’t have to worry about a newer generation console replacing it anytime soon. It’ll be at least two years before any of those come out.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in the Jan. 7, 2011, Portage County Gazette.

    ReplyDelete