Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Trip to San Francisco should include stop to Alcatraz

Last week I detailed the first half of my adventure in San Francisco, Calif., Jan. 26-30. This week, to sound like a television announcer marking the end of an epic show like “Lost,” the adventure concludes. Hopefully I won’t leave any questions unanswered.


The morning of our third day was spent at the Marriot Marquis, our hotel, in downtown San Francisco, as Jenny had to give the presentation she was there to give. Without getting too much into specifics, I’ll say I’ve never been more proud of her, as she had the full attention of all 120 people in the room during her presentation.

I was even prouder when at the end during the question-and-answer session a woman spoke up and said it was the best presentation of the conference, to which the room erupted in applause. It was one of those moments I’ve always wished I could have but know I never will since the very thought of public speaking makes me realize I’m definitely one of those people who would rather die than to have to speak in public.

Following Jenny’s presentation, we returned to Fisherman’s Wharf where we had sourdough bread bowls filled with clam chowder and then strolled down a couple of blocks to catch a ferry to Alcatraz. Upon boarding the ferry, the fog blanket covering the city all day started lifting, and by the time the 15-minute journey to the island was over, sun filled the sky.

At Alcatraz, guides give people the rules of the island, and then set them free to explore, something prisoners there were never allowed to do when it operated from 1934 to 1963. While most of the island is in disrepair, the prison area is better kept because it houses the bulk of the island’s attractions. Be warned, though, the audio tour people take does not point out the cell of Alcatraz’ most famous resident, Al Capone, as I expected it to based on material I read prior to our trip. That’s because his exact cell isn’t known, as he spent most of his time there in the ward battling syphilis.

The audio tour does walk people through a 1962 escape attempt that may or may not have been successful, depending on whether or not you believe the two escapees were able to swim across the cold and swirling waters of San Francisco Bay to safety. I believe it, because tour guides told people hundreds of people, including children, swim it annually.

Alcatraz is a must for anyone visiting San Francisco. The history is too rich for it not to be an enjoyable visit.

Walking back to the cable car following our journey to Alcatraz, a homeless man jumped out of some fake bushes he was holding, scaring me more than anything on the island. Because he scared me, he said I needed to pay up. For a moment, I considered doing so, but Jenny and I stuck to our philosophy of not giving any money to panhandlers, as we were warned not to.

Homelessness is a big problem in San Francisco, as it is in many other big cities and even quite a few not so big cities, and it’s difficult seeing so many people literally living on the streets. While some of them, such as the bush scarer, seem to be alright with trying to convince people to give them money, others clearly have mental or substance-abuse problems that truly need more help than a few coins from tourists can provide. I wish I knew the answer to help them.

The next day, our final full day in the city, Jenny and I hopped on a bus to Golden Gate Park where we had lunch in the Japanese Tea Gardens. While the food wasn’t anything special, the squirrels and birds that feed out of peoples’ hands was a spectacle to behold.

Following lunch, we decided to walk to the beach, not realizing it was a four-mile journey through the park and several blocks of streets. Although there was a heavy mist, the trip was worth it once we arrived at the beach where I enjoyed watching surfers take on the waves.

The final part of our day was spent back at the Golden Gate Bridge, Ghirardelli Square and China Town, which was busy preparing for its upcoming new year celebration. The day ended in an alleyway in the downtown area full of eight different restaurants. We chose a neat Italian-Greek restaurant that was the perfect ending to a great trip.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in the Feb. 11, 2011, Portage County Gazette.

    ReplyDelete