Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

2008 may be normal

2008 may go down as the most normal year in my life, if it is anything like the way I celebrated its arrival on New Year’s Eve.
My wife, Jenny, and I celebrated New Year’s Eve with two other couples. Those couples had never met each other before, so it was up to Jenny and me to break the tension that comes from awkward situations in which people don’t know each other.
Jenny did a great job to remedy this situation, providing the evening’s only highlight. She made some great hor’dourves and mixed a great champagne drink before heading to the restaurant where we had a reservation.
Starting with good food and drinks, I thought we’d have a special evening. But the restaurant, our favorite one ever, was a huge letdown. We were ushered to our table right away, not even getting a chance to order a drink from the bar. Normally, quick service like this, and meeting a reservation on time, would be cause for a celebration, but we had a long evening and didn’t want to rush it.
Our food was good, but not great, which it usually is at this restaurant. My steak was charred on the outside, which I hate, and fairly raw on the inside, leaving a very lackluster taste. Nobody at our table was impressed with their food, which was disappointing.
We left the restaurant when our meal was over and proceeded to a local bar. I’m 33 and married with a child, so I haven’t gone to a bar in years. But I thought we’d have fun, especially since it had a live band.
Sitting around a smokey bar and listening to a mediocre band was not enjoyable. I remember looking at my watch and groaning because it was 9:30 p.m., two and a half hours before the arrival of the new year.
I thought about other more enjoyable things I could be doing with two and a half hours. I could see a movie, read more of the Eric Clapton autobiography I was deep into, figure out the iPod I bought Jenny for Christmas or be at home in my bed and dreaming about how 2008 will be a great year.
Instead I watched some guy down the bar from us throw up all over himself.
I guess I should be more optimistic about 2008. My celebration was boring, but at least I didn’t throw up all over myself. Imagine the year that guy is going to have.
One of the couples we were with left at 10 p.m. They made no real attempt to talk with anybody and seemed bored out of their minds.
The other couple had a good time, though. They knew people at the bar and were social.
We left the bar for home at 11:59 p.m., but heard the New Year’s countdown as we were walking out the door. Thirty seconds later someone lit some fireworks, which were neither thunderous nor mundane; they were normal, which I predict is exactly how 2008 will be for me. But that’s the way I want it.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in January 2008.

    ReplyDelete