Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2009

Name change may affect identity

By SCOTT/STEVE/STEE/S.M. STEUCK
of The Gazette
I think I’m going to change my name to Steve.
Not because I like the name, although it’s not bad, but because I’ve had nearly a half-dozen people call me that in the past five years.
All these incidences of being called Steve have been work-related. I’m out on a story and I introduce myself as Scott, but a few minutes into a conversation the other person refers to me as Steve. Most of the time I don’t correct that person because I figure it’s inconsequential to both of us as to whether or not I should be addressed by my given name.
I used to think people did this because they literally heard Steve when I said I’m Scott, but aside from the “S” at the beginning of each name they sound nothing alike.
Then I thought maybe I have multiple personalities and I actually introduce myself as Steve only to switch back to my Scott personality midway through a conversation, leaving me baffled as to why this person is calling me Steve. But if this were the case, then I would find myself in a lot more conversations in which I have no clue as to what is going on.
After a lot of contemplation on this issue, I’ve determined that people do this because I look like a Steve. Certain names usually match certain types of individuals; for example, a Thor is going to look like a Viking warrior, while a Marvin will seem book smart.
I’m not sure what a Steve is supposed to look like, but he must look like me. I feel sorry for all the Steves out there, because if they think they look like Brad Pitt, they are absolutely wrong. I hate to break it to you guys, but that’s the public speaking, or at least the six or so people who have mistaken me for a Steve.
I also have another good reason to change my name to Steve. Apparently another Scott Steuck exists. I’ve always assumed there probably was another one out there, but I thought that person with a great name, and probably an equally charming personality, was living elsewhere in this country.
Nope. The other Scott Steuck lives here in Portage County. I found this out after applying for a library card here and the librarian said she needed a middle initial from me since there was another Scott Steuck already in their system, this one apparently from Junction City.
I could understand this if my name were Scott Smith or Steve Johnson, but Scott Steuck?
I’d like to ask this person to leave this county, so I could be the only Scott Steuck here. But that would be rude of me since he was here first, as I just moved to this county in April.
I could leave, but I kind of like it here. It’s a nice area and the people are friendly.
My only other option is to change my name to Steve Steuck. I’m not crazy about this option, because that would be a lot of work. Plus Steve has a “v” in it and I’m not fan of that letter, although I do like the two “e”’s. Maybe I will drop the “v” and become Stee Steuck. I kind of like that.
One person who doesn’t like Stee or Steve is my wife. She said she wouldn’t have married me if I were a Steve. Since we’re already married, I could change my name and she’d be stuck with a Steve, which would be kind of funny.
I suppose I could drop my first name entirely and become a one-name person, like Prince and Madonna. Unfortunately, most people can’t pronounce Steuck, so that’s probably not a good idea.
S.M. Steuck. First and middle initials followed by last name – that’s how names were printed in newspapers and books many years ago. My grandpa always says if it worked then, it’ll work now. I’ll agree with him on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazete in June 2008.

    ReplyDelete