Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Calendar should be adjusted to give more free time

Evaluating my schedule recently, I discovered our society’s 24-hour day, seven days a week schedule isn’t enough anymore.
At first look it seems good. A 40-plus hour work week takes up only a little more than one-fourth of the actual hours in a week, which means I’m not working three of every four hours.
But since I’m sleeping about the same amount, the time I’m not working or sleeping is actually one of every two hours.
If I figure in the amount of time I spend getting ready for work, driving to my job, cleaning up and doing chores at home, and making sure my 2-year-old is also getting everything he needs, I’m left with about seven minutes of every hour for free time.
I have to share those seven minutes with my wife doing things we mutually want to do together, giving me three and a half minutes of every hour for myself.
But when I factor in time other people want to participate in my life, like my mother or in-laws, this amount falls to one minute of every hour.
Unfortunately for me, this minute has been eliminated waiting in traffic, talking to telemarketers, deleting spam from my e-mail and trying to remove the cellophane and stickers from DVDs I purchase that I no longer have time to watch.
After taking this scientific look at my schedule and realizing I actually have a negative free-time balance, I thought I would write my legislators and ask them to extend our days and weeks. Each day should be 30 hours long, and each week should have nine days. My plan also calls for them to put 54 weeks, rather than 52, on the calendar for each year.
I don’t care about the Earth’s rotation and its revolution around the sun, which help define days, weeks and years now. Life would be more interesting waking up as the sun is setting, or spending Scottday or Steuckday (the two new days of the week, which have to be named after me since they are my idea) doing nothing except sitting around in your underwear doing crossword puzzles.
I’m sure the Man would try to make us work more, since more hours would be available. But my proposed new calendar includes provisions that would keep everything else status quo. Work hours cannot be extended, spouses do not get more mutual time and telemarketers would be limited to their normal 16.2 million calls per household.
I know my idea sounds ridiculous, but if everybody who complains about not having enough free time supported it, it would pass with the backing of every single person in this country.
Even with that type of backing, though, our legislators would still have a difficult time passing it. They’d attach other bills or pork projects to it, and then they’d take everything out of it until we are left with 20 hour days, six day weeks and 48 week years. It’s a risk I’m not willing to take. My plan is brilliant, but the people responsible for enacting it aren’t ready for it.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in August 2007.

    ReplyDelete