Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Snowfall results in perfect weekend

This past weekend’s snowfall gave my wife and I the perfect excuse to stay home, something we don’t often do on the weekend. In order to keep our 2-year-old son, Braden, occupied and not wanting to go “bye bye,” we found plenty for him and for us to do.
We started the weekend on Friday, before the snow fell, by going to the grocery store to stock up on everything we could possibly need, including ingredients for Christmas cookies.
Other people, also fearing the pending snowstorm, had the same idea, so the store was packed. Add the crowded store with the people that take up the entire aisle because they don’t know how to walk on the sides and instead hog the middle and you’ve got what I like to call a not-so-pleasant shopping experience. This is never fun, especially when you have a not-so-cooperative Braden who has his own opinions about the places in the store he wants to go or the type of cart he would like to sit in. Grocery shopping was as bad as my weekend got, though.
The following day we put together our Christmas tree. As a boy I remember going to the woods with my father and picking out a Christmas tree, and I hope to someday share that experience with Braden, but not until we get a bigger home that can handle a real tree. Until then I’ll have to settle for something that looks good and is easy to care for but causes me to curse to myself while putting it together and doesn’t have the authenticity that makes for a special Christmas.
While Braden and I put the tree together, my wife, Jenny, made cookie dough for cutouts and peanut-butter kiss cookies. Jenny says she’s not a good baker or cook, but I’ll be the first to argue with her on that claim. She’s always making stuff that appeals to my taste buds, which shows because I’ve got a lot of meat on my bones.
My perfect weekend continued while Braden napped in the afternoon. I watched season six of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” the HBO show featuring Larry David, the mastermind behind “Seinfeld.” The two shows are similar, except “Curb’s” humor is censor-free and the actors improvise their lines, which is oftentimes funnier than anything a writer could script.
After Braden’s nap, we decorated the tree and then cleaned all the messes we made throughout the house. While cleaning, Jenny found a still-packaged Christmas present Braden received last year that he was too young to have then but was old enough to play with now. We gave him the present and he was thrilled. The perfect weekend was an early Christmas for him.
On Sunday, I happily got my snow blower out and removed the snow from our driveway and sidewalk. The inventor of the snow blower deserves some sort of Nobel Award, because he or she made life much easier for me, especially since I have a double corner lot and hundreds of feet of sidewalk.
The perfect moment of the perfect weekend followed, when I dressed Braden in his winter gear and we made a snowman and a snow fort, something I haven’t done since I was a kid myself. He loved it too, except the snowman scared him a little bit. But then I taught him how to throw snowballs, which made him feel safer since he now had a potential weapon in case the snowman attacked.
Jenny capped the perfect weekend by making a turkey dinner, which is providing me glorious leftovers for the work week.
Perfect weekends don’t necessarily lead to perfect work weeks, though. On Monday, a freak accident involving my shirt and glasses resulted in me needing to purchase new glasses. Oh well, life can’t always be perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in December 2007.

    ReplyDelete