Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chicken crossed road to walk on proper side

Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side, of course. But why did it want to get to the other side? This is a question I know the answer to. It wanted to take a walk, and getting to the other side allowed it to walk against traffic, a rule even the chicken knows.
But why does it seem the majority of people around here walk on the wrong side of the road? That’s a riddle I wish I had the answer to.
As everyone should know, when walking, running, jogging, crawling or skipping on the road, you need to be on the left side going against traffic. It’s a basic rule parents teach children when they are young, and one people will hear over and over again. “Walk against the traffic,” my mother always told me when I left our rural home to walk somewhere.
It’s a lesson people around here apparently never received, as when my family and I go out for walks or drives we always encounter people walking on the wrong side of the road.
Everywhere we walk, we bump into other walkers in our lane of travel, leading to awkward confrontations. Who should move over and what way should we move, so we don’t knock each other down? Plus, it forces even more awkward conversation. I can be a little grumpy sometimes and talking to strangers is not my forte. And talking to strangers not following rules really irritates me.
Perhaps I am just too weird about this, but it bothers me when I see these people not following the rules our society has made for the safety of everyone. We are required to walk on the left side against traffic so we can see the oncoming traffic, rather than having it come from behind us, making it easier to take evasive action in case it is necessary.
When I’m walking against traffic and an oncoming car approaches, I move over as far as I can, greatly reducing any risk of getting struck by this vehicle and ensuring the vehicle’s driver that I know he or she is coming and I won’t make any sudden moves into the driver’s lane of travel.
Following this rule has worked well for me, as I’ve never been struck by a vehicle in my life. Chances are most people have never been struck by a vehicle either, even the people walking on the wrong side of the road, but I’m sure the people that haven’t followed this rule and have been struck by a vehicle deeply regret not listening to their mothers.
Perhaps their mothers gave them badly-worded advice. “Make sure you walk on the right side of the road,” the mothers may have told them. “Right” actually meaning against the traffic, but the interpreter translating it literally to mean the right side of the road.
So this leads to a new riddle I don’t have the answer to: Who’s the stupid one here, the mother for giving badly-worded advice, or the child for not having the intelligence to interpret it correctly? It reminds me of another riddle: which came first, the chicken or the egg?
The funniest thing about this to me is it seems completely local. I’ve lived in numerous communities in Wisconsin and people always walk on the proper side of the road. Prior to moving to Plover, I can’t recall wrong-side walkers every really irritating me.
But here, I encounter it daily. Maybe it’s because Plover doesn’t seem to have any sidewalks and people are too lazy to cross the road. Maybe it’s because of some strange ordinance I don’t know about that requires people to walk on the right side with traffic, so then I am the foolish one. Maybe it’s because Plover is some Bizarro world and I’m the strange one, irritating everyone because I’m not on the correct side.
Who knows? Maybe the chicken does, but nobody has bothered to ask him.

1 comment:

  1. Originally published in The Portage County Gazette in August 2008.

    ReplyDelete