Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dude Philosophy may be key to life

I have a new philosophy on life. It’s called the Dude Philosophy, and it’s modeled after Jeff Bridges’ character the Dude in the 1998 movie “The Big Lebowski.”
I was one of only a few people to actually see the movie in the theater upon its initial release. I liked it, but not enough to watch it again until recently.
I was motivated to watch it again after reading a feature story about the movie in the most recent issue of Rolling Stone. The article said the film has become the biggest cult movie of its generation, and it is the subject of numerous festivals.
I was surprised to learn this information, because I couldn’t recall anything about the movie except John Goodman’s character, a right-wing, hot-headed Vietnam War veteran who seemed to steal every scene he was in.
The article then stated most people felt the same way I did after their first viewing of the film, mainly because they viewed it as a typical Coen Brothers’ film with zany and exaggerated characters working their way through a somewhat complicated plot. “The Big Lebowski” involves the Dude trying to clear up a kidnap case that he became involved with because he shares a name with one of the people involved in the matter.
But, the article said, the film’s plot is only essential in that it helps the audience understand the characters better, as the movie is actually a complicated character study, and when viewed that way it takes on numerous other meanings.
With that in mind, I watched the film again and was completely surprised to find this to be true, making what I thought was an OK film into a classic.
The Dude is a character who is perfectly happy with life as it is. He’s happy bowling, relaxing in his bathtub at night and hanging out with his friends. Whatever gets thrown at him, he takes in stride.
When a mix-up with his name causes him to become involved in a weird kidnapping, the Dude wants the issue resolved as quickly and easily as possible.
Unfortunately for him, his best friend Walter, played by Goodman, is the complete opposite, and he injects himself in the matter in hopes the two can steal the ransom money the Dude is somehow convinced to deliver. Every time the Dude finds a way out of the situation, Walter screws things up more and the Dude finds himself in an even worse situation.
After watching the film I realized the Dude has the perfect philosophy on life – take it easy (even if you hate the Eagles, which he does).
People in the South have this philosophy, but Midwesterners, with our constant need to stay busy, definitely don’t. We like to work and often don’t take time to appreciate even the simple things life has to offer, simple things like parks, trains, libraries and bubbles. I selected these items because they are my son Braden’s favorite things, and at the age of 3 he is zipping through life with few worries, much like the Dude.
It may be too late for me to be like Braden and the Dude, as my ways have been set for awhile. Those ways include worries most people have and the inability to completely relax.
But I’m trying. Attempting to use the Dude Philosophy this past weekend, I did something I don’t normally do. I let my wife drive. My most unDude-like moments occur when I’m driving, as I tend to get upset easily by bad drivers, so following a Labor Day parade in Redgranite and knowing traffic would be a nightmare, I handed the keys to my wife and told her to get us out of there. She easily did, proving the Dude Philosophy works.
I’m also attempting to use it more when dealing with the side of Braden that rears its ugly head every so often – his naughty side. Instead of yelling at him when this side occurs, I’ve been talking to him as adults talk to other adults and explaining that his naughtiness will have consequences, which will affect both him and others. I calmly tell him “Good boys get good things, naughty boys get none.” He says it now, and it’s been working wonders.
The Dude would be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment